I have decided that if I were to become a quilter, I would have to give myself tons of extra time just for the fabric selection. It has taken me about 2 months to finally put together all of the fabric for the quilt for the baby's room. 2 months... I am embarrassed just putting that in writing. And I also feel the need to explain myself. I really am not a frilly, girly girl and I didn't want a baby room that was all pastel and little bunnies. Just not my style. I also didn't want it to be overly grown-up or decorated. I wanted it to be colorful, fun, lively, and comfortable. So, yes, it took longer then it should, but I wasn't just going to settle for any old prepackaged, sugar-coated baby set.
And I am proud to say that I finally have something that I am really excited about. Yay! I have been debating on whether to attempt to make the quilt myself or to get some help from a professional (my grandma). I like the idea of trying it myself, but I am not a very precise person when it comes to things like this, and I really want it to look nice, not fall apart, yada, yada, yada. So, every night, I pull out all of the pieces that I have cut and debate about it again, lay them all out, look at the pattern, fold them all up again, and put them away, still undecided. Last night, I made a definitive decision that at the end of the month, when we visit my family, I will talk to my grandma about it, so that it actually gets done before the baby shows up. (So, grandma Shirley, if you are reading this, consider yourself warned)
Here is a sampling of most of the fabric, with the book that the pattern comes from. I have added a few more pieces, more blue and green, since this picture was taken, but you can get the idea. All of the fabric is light-weight cotton and the backing is a quilters flannel. In an effort to keep this from breaking the bank (fabric is so crazy expensive!) I found some vintage pillowcases and fabric for some of the pieces, rabidly staked out fabric sales and pieced together a selection of fabric I really like.
My favorite piece is the embroidered flowers in the top left of this picture, below. It came off of an old pillowcase that my mom found somewhere. It has the perfect colors and I am excited to have just one piece on the quilt that is a little different. The only problem was that the embroidery was really close to the bottom edge of the pillowcase, so it is really close to one edge and will be off center in the quilt square, but I think it will be okay.
I am using a pattern from Amy Butler's In Stitches, her living room throw quilt. It is big enough to fold at the end of a twin bed, but folded in half, it will be perfectly crib sized. I hope that will give it a longer life and also make it a special piece for the bean, long after it outgrows the crib. I love the pattern because it is kind of crazy quilt pattern, with all of the blocks in different sizes, some of them overlapping others. Here is a really poor picture of the layout, to give you the general idea:
So, I will keep you posted on the progress of the quilt and I will definitely post pics of the finished product. Now, I need to choose a paint color...